This two storey 1700sq.m building below the proposed Cardiology Unit provided 17 No. paediatric intensive care beds and associated services at Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital, Crumlin. Refurbishment of an existing ward linked to the new build was carried out in addition to associated site works.
The new PICU building comprised a steel frame at 1st floor level with concrete / metal deck flooring and light weight insulated metal deck roof. The under croft area below contained a relocated wounds clinic, plant and carpark. Refurbishment of an existing 1950’s ward was also required.
The building structure was designed to allow the future construction of the proposed Cardiology Unit at 2nd floor level with minimal disruption to the PICU.
O’Connor Sutton Cronin provided structural design structures for the new build and refurbishment in addition to associated car parking and drainage design services.