As part of a larger ongoing conservation effort within The Botanic Gardens in Glasnevin, and to commemorate the hosting of the World Botanical Garden Conference the Teak House glasshouse was restored and now forms part of the main pedestrian route from the carpark.
The Teak House was originally constructed in the 1950’s and as such was built from more modern materials than the other glasshouse buildings within the Botanic Gardens. Early investigation by O’Connor Sutton Cronin confirmed the main building elements were mild steel and teak. Upon more detailed investigations it was found that serious degradation of the materials had taken place and as such a full faithful restoration was not a feasible option to proceed on. As such the project became a partial restoration and partial replication of the existing structure but using higher quality, more durable and environmentally friendly materials. Stainless steel replaced the mild steel frame while the teak elements were replaced with the more sustainable timber Iroko.
O’Connor Sutton Cronin compiled a detailed member list which included in excess of 2000 timber and steel members giving the exact profile of each member together with their length and location. As the investigation works took place it became apparent to O’Connor Sutton Cronin that various original construction details and joint arrangements had accelerated the decay of the building and remodelling these areas to fit within the restored building with a minimum of visual impact became an important factor within our design and analysis.
As the building was to some extent a new building rather than a restoration a detailed computer model was developed to analyse the building for all loading conditions. It was found that the bracing of the structure was not adequate and so increased section sizes were added. Some other alterations to member profiles and the joints further enhanced the overall stability of the building.
Construction began in September 2009 and the restored building was officially re-opened to the public in June 2010.